TwinMesh for Reliable CFD Analysis of External Gear PumpsCombining TwinMesh and ANSYS CFD offers engineers a unique, efficient and fast workflow for transient, three-dimensional computational fluid and thermal analysis (cfd) of external gear pumps.
Design Engineers of External Gear Pumps Have to:
- Have deep insight into their machine behavior in order to catch possible limits
- Analyse the impact of changing operation requirements (e.g other fluid viscosity, different revolution speeds, impact of external temperatures, etc.)
- Be able to answer specific customer demands
- Produce fast and reliable answers
Thanks to our novel software TwinMesh virtual product development is now available for external gear pumps! TwinMesh toghether with ANSYS CFD allow for fast, reliable and efficient CFD analysis of external gear pumps.
No More Numerical Limits
Common limitations of existing commercial and academic CFD software packages for gear pumps such as:
- Limited availability of physical models,
- Insufficient mesh resolution,
- Numerical errors due to poor mesh quality and interpolation errors,
- Numerical errors due to usage of overlapping meshes (e. g. immersed solid)
are redundant for the TwinMesh approach. Using structured grids from the TwinMesh software engineers of gear pumps get access to the full capability of CFD modelling available in ANSYS CFD. The high quality meshes from TwinMesh result in reliable and stable CFD simulations at moderate model sizes and moderate calculation times for transient analysis, including complex effects such as aeration, cavitation and acoustics (noise emission).
Reliable CFD Analysis of External Gear Pumps
What can engineers of gear pumps expect? CFD analysis results generated with TwinMesh and ANSYS CFD provide engineers of external gear pumps with essential information such as:
- Velocity, pressure, and temperature fields within the working chambers and in axial and radial clearances
- Flow rates and mass flow at user defined operation points
- Torques, moments, forces and machine efficiency (CoP)
- Leakage and losses
- Pulsation behaviour of the machine
- Location and magnitude of erosion (e. g. particles, cavitation)
- Duration and magnitude of acoustic sources (emission)
TwinMesh and ANSYS CFD together make a reliable, modern, and state-of-the-art engineering tool, which allows for fast, reliable and efficient analysis and optimisation of external gear pumps.
Increase machine performance, efficiency, and durability by a better understanding of complex phenomena inside your machine.
Speed & Flexibility
Reduce your time-to-market and fasten your response time to changing demands significantly by massive use of virtual prototyping.
Drive real innovation by getting deeper insight into the details of your products and their interaction with connected systems.
Reduce development and manufacturing costs by massive use of virtual product development instead of time consuming measurements on physical prototypes.
Animations of External Gear Pump Simulations
Related blog entries
We are pleased to announce that TwinMesh by CFX Berlin will be exhibitor at NAFEMS World Congress 2021 from October 25-29 in Salzburg, Austria. The NAFEMS World Congress covers every aspect of CFD, FEA and multiphysics engineering analysis and simulation.
This video by CFX Berlin is a webinar recording from 10th June 2021 and it demonstrates how to perfom reliable CFD analysis of rotating positive displacement machines using TwinMesh™ and Ansys CFD.
Next free TwinMesh webinar on 10th of June 2021 at 2pm (CEST): find out more about how TwinMesh and Ansys CFD allow for reliable 3D CFD analysis of rotary positive displacement machines such as screw compressors, lobe pumps, vane pumps, Wankel engines, gear pumps, progressive cavity pumps, or scroll expanders!